Saturday, March 8, 2014

#9 James Stead

James Stead is another one of my immigrant ancestors.  He is my third great grandfather on my mother’s side.

James was born c 1819 in England.  He married Mary Ann Tolson on 1st of Sept 1851 in Leeds, Yorkshire, England.

James & Mary had six children:


  1.  Thomas born Jan 1847 in England (my ancestor)
  2.  Elizabeth Stead born circa 1848 in England
  3.  William Talson born July 1851 in Seneca Falls, New York
  4.  Mary Ann born 14th Nov 1853 in Seneca Falls, New York
  5.  Francis A born 23 Aug 1855 in Seneca Falls, New York
  6. James D born Feb 1859 in Seneca Falls, New York.

Based on US Federal Census, the family lived in the following areas:
·        1860 – 4th Ward Seneca Falls Village, Seneca County, New York.
·        1870 – Dundee, Kane County, Illinois.  Occupation is moulder.
·        1880 – Dundee, Kane County, Illinois.

I have some inconsistencies as to when James immigrated to the United States.  I’m not sure how he could have children born in New York, yet was married in England.  It is possible that there were 2 James Stead with a wife by the name of Mary who were born at the same time.  I really need to locate immigration records to verify where in England James was from.

No comments:

Post a Comment