Monday, July 15, 2024

2024 Week 22 of 52 Ancestors 52 Weeks - Creativity

        Knitting, Crocheting, Sewing . . . those are just some of the crafts that were done when I was growing up.  Do you remember saving popsicle sticks?   We had a lot of crafts with those – making all sorts of things.  In Girl Scouts, we made candles using ice cubes and hot wax.

       My maternal grandmother made rugs out of wool – I believe they were hooked.  They lasted a long time!  We also made rugs out of plastic bread bags.

       Grandma also crocheted doilies.  I still have some.  Mom also crocheted them.  I learned  how to crochet but not the fine stuff.  I did purses, scarves, etc.  They also made afghans – especially the granny squares.

       I mentioned knitting – I have a huge collection of needles.  I’ve made scarves, a sweater, slippers.  I learned this in 4-H as well as in home ec class in high school.  Mom & my dad’s sister knitted.  Not sure about grandma.

       Quilting was another big craft.  Mom is still busy with quilting – although she is starting to give it up as it is hard to do the hand quilting.  I have a few quilts that she made.  I also have one or two that was made by my grandmother.

       Embroidery was another craft that I learned.  Had lots of floss and patterns from my grandmother.  I still have them.  Although, I don’t have as much time for it.  I’ve done some variations of embroidery like crewel embroidery, counted cross-stitch, and latch hooking (rugs/wall hangings).

Almost all of my clothes were home-made.  I learned how to sew and made some of my own clothes.  Modeled them too for 4-H.  Haven’t sewn clothes in a long time.  Although, I recently made an upcycled apron out of a button-up shirt.  Mom made the one in

this photo.

Enough of the hand crafts . . . my dad’s favorite hobby was model railroading.  He built some of his own cars as well as his layout.  Home-made buildings and trees.  Then he advanced to a little larger train – and built a couple of those cars as well.

Dad also built other things – like a retaining wall, picnic tables, and who knows what.  Papa (his dad) also built things out of wood.  Like doll beds and a vanity.







No comments:

Post a Comment