Sunday, July 14, 2024

2024 52 Ancestor 52 Weeks - Week 21 - Nicknames

         Lots of nicknames in my family tree.  Mine is “Marcy”.  My brother had “Eddie” and “Eddie Bill” to distinguish him from our paternal grandfather, Ed.  When he became an adult (actually in high school), it was shortened to “Ed”.  Our grandfather had passed away before then.  Actually, it might be better to start with the oldest generation – our great grandfather, William Edward Kludt.  I don’t think he had a nickname – everything I have found had him going be William.  His son, Edward William, was known as Ed.  My dad was William Edward and was called “Billie” when he was growing up and then later shortened to Bill.

       That is just part of the typical nicknames where the person’s name is shortened.  Another is Christopher Maynard with the nickname of Kit.  Probably to distinguish him from his grandfather and uncle, also named Christopher Maynard.  Another nickname in the Maynard family was “One-Eyed Kitty”.  He was the son of  Christopher Maynard.  I’m not sure how he got that nickname.

A great grandmother was named Rosazettie and was known as Zettie.

       Also, there is the typical Molly or Polly as well as Peggy.  Do I know the real names?  Not really.  Some are for Mary, others for Margaret.

No comments:

Post a Comment