Saturday, November 19, 2016

Veteran Ancestors

In honor of Veteran's Day, I will take a look at my ancestors who have fought in various wars for our Nation's freedoms.

Hmmm . . . thought this would be easy.  I'm not finding much at the moment.  There are possibles with the Civil War (both sides) but I don't have definitive proof.

I know that my Porter family was involved with the Virginia Militia before the Revolutionary War because that is how I got my membership in the Daughters of the American Colonists.

Daniel Brown, private in the 124th Illinois Infantry during the Civil War.  In 1863, he was 40 years old, married, and a farmer.  Daniel is my 3rd great grandfather on my mother's side of the family.  He died in September 1863 due to illness contracted during his service.  His wife filed for pension.  Lots of good information in that pension file including marriage certificate and listing of children including birth dates and places.


Thomas Stead, private in  Company H, 9th New York Heavy Artillery during the Civil War.  Thomas is my 2nd great grandfather on my mother's side.  Haven't been able to track down the actual pension record online.

James Frazer fought in the Revolutionary War.  There are muster rolls but I'm not able to determine if it is the same James Frazier.

Garland Hurt fought in the Civil War for the Confederacy.

Moses Hurt, Garland's father,  fought in the Revolutionary War.

As I do more in-depth research on various surnames, I will be able to add to this list.



No comments:

Post a Comment