Saturday, January 25, 2014

#1 Patrick Porter


Patrick is my Daughters of the American Colonist patriot and my seventh great grandfather on my mother’s side.   He was born 1 May 1737 to Benjamin Porter Sr and Ann Campbell.  His place of birth is unknown.  He married Susannah Walker circa 1756 in Orange County, North Carolina.  They had 8 children (I descend from the oldest, Samuel).  Patrick died 28 April 1805 in Dungannon, Scott County, Virginia.

Patrick fought in the Revolutionary War.  He received a land grant in Fincastle County, Virginia in 1772.

W.M. Willis posted A Family Biography in March 1999 providing some information and disputing others.  According to his information, Patrick was born 4 January 1737, place of birth and parents unknown.  His marriage to Susannah occurred within the Walker Creek watershed in Augusta (now Rockbridge) County, Virginia.  After their marriage, the couple moved to North Carolina, settling on property owned by Susannah’s father on Moon Creek, a tributary of the Dan River in what was then Orange (now Caswell) County. About 1770/72, Patrick & Susannah, along with her family, relocated to southwest Virginia, settling on Falling Creek, Washington (then Russell and finally Scott) County.

Patrick was involved in his communities.  He appears frequenty in the records of Augusta, Rockbridge, Fincastle, and Washington Counties, Virginia (1772 to 1800).  The first record for him is in a listing of those who contributed to the pastor’s salary at New Providence Church in 1753.  His name also appeared frequently in the records of Orange County, North Carolina between 1760 and 1770.  At various times he is shown as a member of the militia.  He also served as one of the Commissioners of the Revenue for Russell County.

Patrick did serve in Dunmore’s War as he was listed on the roster of Russell’s Company.  His actual role is unknown.  He could have been at the Battle of Point Pleasant (Kentucky, 10 October 1774) or he could have stayed at Moore’s Fort under the command of Daniel Boone.



Some of the above information is also mentioned in Omer C Addington’s Patrick Porter:  An Early Pioneer of the Clinch.  According to his article Patrick was one of the petitioners to form a new county, Guilford, from Orange County in North Carolina.   In 1769, he visited Castlewood (Moore’s Fort) and part of the Clinch River Valley.  He was looking for free land and plenty of game and water.  He evidently found what he was looking for as he had been given a land grant of 214 acres by old Fincastle County, Virginia.  The family moved to the Clinch in October 1772.  He built his fort house on Falling Creek near the present site of Dungannon.  Just below the falls of the creek he built his grist mill in 1774 (granted permission by the court of old Fincastle County).




Other information about Patrick and his family can also be found in the book, Pickin’ Up the Porters by Henry G Martin. 

10 comments:

  1. Mother and I have been doing research on Patrick also. He was mothers 3rd Great grandfather on her dads side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patrick Porter was alson my Dad's (William Hezekiah Porter) 3rd Great Grand father. His dad's father and my grand father's name was James Harrison Porter, what is your mother's father's name? We maybe cousins. My Name is Ronald Harrison Porter.
      Email: ronaldhporter@sbcglobal.net

      Delete
  2. check out my tree on ancestry.com (Belles-Kludt) for more information. Also the Porter Timeline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also am a descendent of samuel. Never knew my father's side and decided to see what I can find and what kind of history is behind my name

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. I just came across this post, and I am also a descendent of Samuel. Thanks for the information! Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a descendant. My great, great grandmother was Rhoda Porter, great great granddaughter to Patrick. She married Thomas Riley Waller, a half Indian man, who i am named after through my granddad & dad. I am the 4th and last Thomas of the line. Thomas Riley and Rhoda (no middle name) are buried in Kent, WA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. which cemetery in Kent? I have an aunt on my Dad's side that is buried in the National Cemetery in Kent.

      Delete
  6. Patrick was 6x gr. Grandfather through his daughter Mary Porter Alley. She married John Alley. Sam Porter (Mary's brother) married Mary Alley the sister of John. Hence, Mary Porter Alley is a grandmother and Mary Alley Porter is an Aunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have similar twists in my family. My GGrandfather on my Dad's side and his sister married siblings.

      Delete